There is nothing quite like a warm and hearty bowl of soup on a cold winter day. This broccoli cheese soup recipe is the best of the best, because it is the perfect comfort food for those chilly days.
It is thick, creamy, and loaded with cheesy goodness. Plus, it is super easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients. So if you are looking for a quick and delicious dinner option, this soup is definitely worth trying! Wait no more and jump right into making it with my recipe!
What Is Broccoli Cheese Soup?
Broccoli Cheese Soup is a thick and creamy soup that is typically made with broccoli, cheese, and various other ingredients such as heavy cream, butter, chicken stock, and onions. It is usually served hot as a filling and comforting meal on cold winter days.
Because it is so easy to make and comes together using only a few simple ingredients, it has become a popular dish in many homes and restaurants.
Broccoli Cheese Soup: A Combination Of Flavors
The combination of flavors in broccoli cheese soup is truly unlike any other. The creamy, cheesy flavor combined with the slight tang of the onions and the nuttiness of the broccoli come together to create a dish that is out-of-this-world delicious.
This soup also pairs perfectly with a variety of toppings such as croutons, bacon bits, shredded cheese, or fresh herbs, which allows you to customize your soup to suit your own tastes. Whether you are looking for a quick weeknight dinner option or just craving some cozy comfort food, broccoli cheese soup is sure to hit the spot!
Why This Broccoli Cheese Soup Is The Best?
There are many reasons why this broccoli cheese soup is so good:
- For starters, it is incredibly easy to make and comes together in just a few simple steps.
- Additionally, the recipe calls for only a handful of simple ingredients such as broccoli, onions, cheese, heavy cream, butter, and chicken stock.
- Finally, this soup has an amazing combination of flavors that is truly hard to beat, featuring a creamy and cheesy base with just the right amount of tang from the onions.
>> You might also like:
How To Make Broccoli Cheese Soup?
To make broccoli cheese soup, start by adding the butter and onions to a large pot over medium heat. Cook until the onions are soft, then stir in the broccoli florets and chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and cook until the broccoli is tender about 15 minutes.
Next, whisk in the cheese and heavy cream until the soup is smooth and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then ladle the soup into bowls and serve hot.
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli florets and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
- Stir in the heavy cream and cheese, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue cooking over medium-low heat until the cheese is melted and the soup is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with extra cheese or herbs if desired.
- To make this soup even more delicious, you can add some crispy croutons or bacon bits on top.
- This soup also freezes well, so you can save leftovers for later if desired. Just be sure to let it fully cool before freezing to prevent any food safety issues.
- If you want to add more flavor to the soup, you can try adding other ingredients such as garlic, spices, or herbs. This will allow you to customize the recipe to suit your own tastes.
- If you prefer a thicker soup, you can add more cheese or reduce the amount of chicken stock that is used in the recipe. Alternatively, if you prefer a thinner soup, you can add more chicken stock or a splash of milk to achieve the desired consistency.
- Calories: 300
- Total Fat: 22.5g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
- Sodium: 430mg
- Total Carbs: 10.5g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.5g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 14g
- Calcium: 20%
- Iron: 5%
- Vitamin C: 80%
Tips From Liliana Kitchen
- You can use frozen broccoli florets in place of fresh if needed. Just make sure that you thaw and drain them well before adding them to the soup.
- If the soup is too thick, you can thin it out by adding a bit more chicken stock or heavy cream as needed.
- To add extra flavor to the soup, try sprinkling in some spices such as garlic powder or Italian seasoning.
- Garnish the soup with croutons, extra cheese, chopped herbs, or bacon for a more indulgent and flavorful dish.
>> Don’t tell me that you still want more? Alright, watch this tutorial video here to know how to make a perfect broccoli cheese soup:
Substitutions can be made to the recipe as needed, such as using cheddar cheese in place of gruyere or switching out the butter for olive oil.
- To make this soup gluten-free, simply use gluten-free chicken stock or broth. You can also use gluten-free flour or cornstarch to thicken the soup if needed.
- To make this recipe vegan, try using vegan butter or olive oil in place of the butter and skip the cheese altogether. You can also add some extra flavor by including other seasonings such as garlic or herbs.
There are many different ways you can customize this broccoli cheese soup to suit your own tastes.
- For example, you can add in some bacon bits or crispy croutons on top, or stir in a handful of cooked pasta or rice just before serving.
- You could also try adding in other vegetables such as carrots, peas, corn, or chopped spinach to further personalize the dish.
- Alternatively, you can try using different cheeses such as mozzarella or gruyere for a more complex flavor and texture.
This soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To store it longer, you can transfer any leftovers to a sealed container and freeze them for up to 2 months. When ready to serve again, thaw the soup overnight in the refrigerator or reheat over medium-low heat until warmed through.
What To Serve With Broccoli Cheese Soup?
Some good options to serve with this soup include a fresh green salad, crusty bread or rolls, or a side of roasted vegetables. You can also try serving the soup alongside a light sandwich or wrap for an easy and filling meal.
FAQs For Broccoli Cheese Soup
What cheese is best for soup?
There is no definitive answer, as different types of cheese may work better in some cases than others. However, cheddar and gruyere are both popular choices and both tend to melt nicely when added to a soup. Other options include mozzarella or fontina, depending on your preferences or what you have available.
How do you thicken Broccoli Cheese Soup?
There are a few different ways to thicken soup, such as using a roux of butter and flour or adding in some cornstarch. However, one of the easiest techniques is simply to add more cheese, as this can help thicken the broth while also imparting flavor.
Other options include stirring in an equal mixture of milk and cream, or whisking in some extra broth or chicken stock until the soup reaches your desired consistency.
If needed, you can also add a bit of flour or cornstarch to help thicken up the soup, but this should be used sparingly and added slowly to prevent the soup from becoming too thick.
Can you use frozen broccoli instead of fresh in soup?
Yes, you can use frozen broccoli in place of fresh if needed. Just make sure that you thaw and drain the broccoli well before adding it to the soup so that it does not thin out the broth too much. You may also want to add a bit more stock or heavy cream if desired depending on how cooked down your broccoli is after thawing.
How do you keep Broccoli Cheese Soup from separating?
There are a few different techniques you can try to help prevent your soup from separating.
- One option is to add in an extra roux made with butter and flour or cornstarch, as this can help create a more cohesive base for the soup.
- You could also try incorporating some cream cheese or sour cream into the mixture, as these ingredients can help keep the soup from separating while also adding additional flavor.
- Lastly, adding a bit of cornstarch or flour to the broth along with some extra cheese can also help thicken up the mixture and prevent it from becoming too thin or watery.
With its rich and creamy texture, cheesy flavor, and endless customization options, broccoli cheese soup is a comforting and satisfying dish that is sure to be a hit with family and friends. The taste will be unforgettable once you enjoy it!
So that is all Liliana Kitchen can cover for you in this time post about the making of the best Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe. What is your favorite way to enjoy broccoli cheese soup? Let us know in the comments below!