There is nothing like a creamy, oniony dip to bring people together. Whether you are watching the game or just hanging out with friends, this dip is always a hit. And it is so easy to make! Just mix some sour cream, onion powder, and garlic powder together, and voila – deliciousness! Serve with chips or veggies for a perfect snack.
Today, I am going to show you how to make your own sour cream and onion dip from scratch in this article. Stay to the end so that you do not miss the magic to happen with this dish!
Why This Is The Best Sour Cream and Onion Dip Recipe?
This is the best sour cream and onion dip because it is homemade with real ingredients. No preservatives, no added colors, and no funny business. Just good, old-fashioned sour cream, onion powder, and garlic powder. And that is it! This dip is also super easy to make. It only takes a few minutes to mix everything together, and then you are good to go.
This dip is also amazing because it is so versatile. Serve it with chips, crackers, or veggies for dipping. Or use it as a spread on sandwiches or wraps. The possibilities are endless!
What To Eat With Sour Cream and Onion Dip?
This sour cream and onion dip is delicious with just about anything. But my personal favorite is to eat it with pretzels. The salty pretzels are the perfect vehicle for this creamy, oniony goodness. But chips, crackers, or even veggies would be great as well.
How To Serve?
While I could eat this sour cream and onion dip straight from the bowl with a spoon (don’t judge!), there are plenty of vehicles to get this creamy deliciousness into your mouth:
- Serve with chips, crackers, or crudites. First and foremost, I think of this tasty concoction as a dip, which means you need something to dip in it! It tastes equally delicious with chips as it does with crunchy raw veggies. Pro Tip → Nest the bowl with the dip inside a larger bowl filled with ice water to keep it cool and fresh at summer gatherings!
- Use it as a spread on sandwiches. Give your subs a serious flavor upgrade by using French Onion Dip as an alternative to mayo. YUM!
- Use it as an alternative to sour cream for tacos, nachos, chili, and more. Since it’s primarily made with sour cream, feel free to use it as such!
How To Make Sour Cream and Onion Dip?
The process of making this dipping is quite simple and easy. All you need to do is putting every ingredient you got in hand in a bowl and mix them all together at once. Cover and take it to the refrigerator and let them sit in for around 1 hour. Finally, just reward yourself with the finished product!
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until the flavors have had a chance to meld.
- Serve with chips, crackers, or veggies for dipping. Enjoy!
- You can make this onion dip recipe without sour cream by substituting Greek yogurt, buttermilk, or cream cheese.
- If you’re looking for a healthier option, use full-fat Greek yogurt in place of sour cream.
- For a gluten-free version, use tamari or coconut aminos in place of soy sauce.
- For a spicier onion dip, add up to ½ teaspoon of cayenne powder.
- This onion dip can be made up to 2 days in advance. Simply mix everything together and store it in a covered container in the fridge.
- Keep the dip covered and refrigerated until you’re ready to serve. It will last for 4-7 days in the fridge.
- Calories: 107
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 24 mg
- Sodium: 258 mg
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Sugar: 3 g
- Protein: 2 g
Sour Cream Substitutions
Provided that you don’t have any sour cream on hand or are looking for a healthier option, there are plenty of ways to make this dish without it. Here are some substitutes for sour cream that will work well in this recipe:
- Plain Greek Yogurt: This is my go-to substitution for sour cream. It adds protein and probiotics while reducing the fat content.
- Buttermilk: This will make the dip a bit thinner, but it will still be delicious.
- Cream Cheese: This will make the dip richer, but it will still be delicious.
- To Make Ahead: You can make this dip up to 2 days in advance. Simply mix everything together and store it in a covered container in the fridge. The flavors will meld and get even better as it sits!
- Keep the dip covered and refrigerated until you’re ready to serve.
- Since there are no preservatives in this French onion dip recipe, be sure to use it within 4-7 days.
>> You might also like:
While this simple homemade sour cream and onion dip is pretty perfect as is, there are plenty of ways to customize it to your liking. Here are some easy variations to try:
- Healthier (Lite). If you’re trying to be a bit more virtuous, feel free to use full-fat Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. You’ll add a nice probiotic and protein boost while cutting some fat and calories.
- Gluten-Free. If you’ve got a celiac on hand, be sure to swap in tamari or coconut aminos for the soy sauce.
- Spicy. Add some heat by adding up to ½ teaspoon of cayenne powder.
>> Mouthwatering with this recipe yet? Take a glimpse at this tutorial here to get specific instructions on how to make sour cream and onion dip:
FAQs about Sour Cream and Onion Dip
Are Sour Cream & Onion Dip and French Onion Dip the same thing?
They are very similar, but French Onion Dip typically contains cream cheese or mayo in addition to the sour cream. This gives it a richer flavor and thicker texture.
Who came up with the sour cream and onion combo?
That’s a good question! I did a bit of digging and it seems that the combo was first popularized in the U.S. in the 1950s. But it’s possible that it was around long before that.
Is French onion dip made from sour cream?
Yes, French onion dip is typically made with sour cream as the base. This can be replaced with Greek yogurt, buttermilk, or cream cheese.
What is the difference between onion dip and French onion dip?
French onion dip typically contains cream cheese or mayo in addition to sour cream. This gives it a richer flavor and thicker texture.
What makes French onion dip French?
The name “French onion dip” likely comes from the fact that it contains onions and is served with French bread or baguettes. But other than that, there’s no real connection to France.
This French onion dip (an alternative name for sour cream and onion dip) recipe is easy to make and always a hit at parties! It’s made with sour cream, onion, garlic, and a few spices. You can make it ahead of time and store it in the fridge for later. Just be sure to use it within 4-7 days.
Looking for more party-friendly dip recipes? Then there is no need to look further than Lilianakitchen.com with various topics for you to discover that we will upload regularly! Stay tuned and follow us to know more!