Whenever there is a gathering of people, especially if those people are of the foodie variety, there is always one dish that seems to rise to the top. That dish is usually something simple but has enough flavor and variation to keep everyone’s taste buds happy.
For me, that dish is sausage balls. This recipe is easy to follow and can be tailored to your liking. So go ahead and give them a try at your next party, I promise you won’t be disappointed.
Sausage Balls: What Are They?
Sausage balls are a type of appetizer made by combining ground sausage and biscuit mix, along with other add-in ingredients. They are typically baked in the oven until golden brown and are often served as part of a larger party spread or as an accompaniment to drinks and cocktails.
Why Use This Sausage Balls Recipe?
There are many different variations of sausage balls, but I believe this particular recipe offers a great combination of flavor and simplicity. Additionally, it is easy to prepare and customize, and the ingredients can be easily sourced at most grocery stores.
How To Make Sausage Balls
While there are many variations on the recipe for sausage balls, most follow a fairly similar basic process. To make them, you first need to mix together the ground sausage and biscuit mix until well combined. You can then add in any additional ingredients that you like, such as cheese, spices, herbs, or even chopped vegetables.
Once your mixture is ready, you can simply form it into small balls and place them on a baking sheet. Then you can bake them in the oven until golden brown and crispy, and serve them hot as an appetizer or snack.
- 1 lb ground pork sausage
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, mix together the sausage and biscuit mix until well combined.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, parsley, and egg until everything is evenly combined.
- Form the mixture into small balls, and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve hot as an appetizer or snack, with your favorite dipping sauces or condiments if desired.
- This sausage balls recipe can be easily customized to suit your tastes, by adding in different spices or herbs, or substituting different types of meat.
- If you prefer a cheesier flavor, you can also add some shredded cheese to the mixture before baking.
- These sausage balls are best served hot out of the oven but can be reheated in the oven or microwave if needed.
- Calories: 140
- Total Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 54 mg
- Sodium: 304 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Protein: 9 g
>> Mouthwatering yet with these sausage balls? This video here will share with you some tips for making them with the best flavor:
Tips From Liliana Kitchen
- If you want to make your sausage balls extra crispy and crunchy, try parboiling them for a few minutes before baking.
- To make sure your biscuit mix and meat are thoroughly combined, use a food processor or stand mixer instead of simply mixing by hand.
- Be creative when it comes to adding additional ingredients, and experiment with different flavors until you find your favorites.
- For a more saucy texture, try adding some marinara sauce or BBQ sauce to the mixture before baking.
- Serve your dish with dipping sauces like ranch dressing, gravy, or sour cream for an extra tasty treat.
>> You might also like:
- You can try making your sausage balls smaller or larger, depending on your preferences.
- If you like a spicier flavor, you can add some hot sauce or cayenne pepper to the mixture.
- For an extra cheesy flavor, try adding in some shredded cheddar, mozzarella, or other types of cheese.
- If you want a creamier texture, try adding some cream cheese or sour cream to the mixture.
- To make them extra savory, try sprinkling on some chopped scallions, chives, or other herbs before baking.
- For an extra indulgent treat, try rolling your sausage balls in crushed crackers or potato chips before baking.
FAQs About Sausage Balls Recipe
Why are my sausage balls so dry?
There are a few different possible reasons why your sausage balls might be dry and crumbly.
- One possible cause is that you may not have mixed the ingredients thoroughly enough, especially if you are using your hands to mix them instead of a food processor or stand mixer.
- Another possibility is that you may have used too much biscuit mix in the recipe, which can result in a dry and crumbly texture.
- If you are having trouble with your sausage balls being too dry, it may help to add a small amount of liquid like milk or water to the mixture before baking.
- Additionally, you can also try adding in some additional spices or herbs, such as oregano or thyme,
What are sausage balls made of?
Sausage balls are typically made using a combination of ground pork sausage, biscuit mix, and various seasonings and spices. Some other common ingredients that may be added to the mixture include cheese, cream cheese, chopped herbs or vegetables, and breadcrumbs.
Depending on the recipe you use or your individual preferences, there may also be other ingredients included, such as eggs, milk, butter, or breadcrumbs.
Do you put egg in sausage balls?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as different sausage ball recipes may use different ingredients and techniques. Some recipes may call for the use of eggs in the mixture, while others may not. If you are looking for a recipe that uses egg in your sausage balls, it may help to do some research online or consult with a trusted
Should sausage balls be cooked before freezing?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as different recipes may vary in terms of cooking times and storage methods. Some sausage ball recipes may recommend freezing the uncooked mixture before baking it, while others may suggest freezing the cooked sausage balls after they have been baked.
In general, you should always follow any specific instructions provided with your chosen recipe, and make sure to freeze your sausage balls in an airtight container or freezer bag to avoid freezer burn. Additionally, you should always thaw your sausage balls before baking or reheating them, as this will help ensure that they do not come out dry and crumbly.
Overall, this sausage balls recipe is a great choice for anyone looking for an easy and delicious appetizer or party snack. The combination of savory sausage and crispy biscuit mix makes them flavorful and satisfying, while their small size makes them the perfect finger food.
So why not give this recipe a try at your next gathering? I guarantee your guests will love them! In case you want to discover more cooking directions and food tips, you know where to find them, right? Liliana Kitchen is here and always supports you with our best in compiling and testing out any recipes out there for you to serve and enjoy! Happy cooking!