Pumpkin bread is one of my favorite fall treats. I love the spices and pumpkin flavor. I also love cream cheese frosting, so I decided to put it on top of my pumpkin bread this year. The results were amazing! The cream cheese frosting pairs perfectly with the pumpkin bread. If you are looking for a delicious and easy Fall recipe, then you have to try this Pumpkin bread with cream cheese frosting!
What is Pumpkin bread?
Technically speaking, pumpkin bread is a loaf cake cooked in a pound cake pan with traditional cake components like flour, egg, and sugar. A wide range of toppings, such as cream cheese icing, apple sauce, caramel sauce, etc., can be used with pumpkin bread.
Pumpkin bread is frequently prepared in the fall and is connected to cooler temperatures and the October and November pumpkin season. The texture has little to do with bread in the traditional sense and is more similar to a classic cake with soft crumbs.
Can you use fresh pumpkin to make Pumpkin bread?
Without a doubt, the answer is yes. The pie pumpkins are what I favor using. They have greater taste, are sweeter, and have less moisture. They are little pumpkins, weighing anywhere from 3 to 8 lbs. You will need around a 3 lb. pie pumpkin for this recipe because a 15-ounce can of pumpkin is a little under 2 cups.
- 180 g AP flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1½ teaspoon Pumpkin spice
- 75 g Granulated sugar
- 75 g Brown sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 120 g Vegetable oil
- 200 g Pumpkin puree
- >Cream cheese frosting without butter
- 150 g Cream cheese full-fat Philadephia
- 50 g Mascarpone full fat
- 25 g Powder sugar sifted
- Rubber spatula
- Electric hand mixer
- Cooling rack
- Digital oven thermometer
- Loaf pan
Pumpkin Loaf Cake (using canned pumpkin)
Prepare your Loaf pan (12x22cm / 5x8 inches).
Preheat oven to 175 C / 347 F.
- In a large bowl of oil, egg and the 2 different kinds of sugar should be beaten with an Electric hand mixer for a few minutes until fluffy, then fold pumpkin puree in.
- Before adding them to the mixture, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices). Dry ingredients must be folded in by hand (using a rubber spatula). Do not use a mixer at this point.
- Apply soft butter to the entire inside of the tin, so that when taking out the cake, it does not stick to the pan then pour the cake batter into your Loaf tin.
- Bake for 45 min or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Cool the Pumpkin Bread on the cooling rack.
Cream cheese frosting
- Make the cream cheese frosting by beating cream cheese, mascarpone, and icing sugar together until creamy and fluffy. Use an Electric hand mixer.
- Be careful after it has reached a creamy, fluffy consistency. If you overbeat it, the frosting won't grow much firmer; in fact, if you overbeat it, it will just get runnier before breaking b
- All ingredients must be at room temperature to properly emulsify: eggs, pumpkin puree, etc.
- For the frosting use full-fat mascarpone and full-fat cream cheese - so it will whip up easily without using a lot of powdered sugar.
- Use parchment paper in your Loaf tin so the Pumpkin Bread can easily be removed after baking or butter and flour it.
- Always pre-heat your oven and consider using a digital oven thermometer for the best results.
- Baking this Pumpkin bread takes 45 minutes in my oven however focus on the texture, not the time. Apply the toothpick check (it should come out clean) to avoid raw cake.
- Only frost room temperature or chilled loaf, never frost hot loaf.
FAQs about Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting
Can I make this recipe in a smaller / bigger pan?
Yes, you can, but you’ll need to change the baking time and ingredient amounts appropriately. However, larger cakes run the danger of not baking completely, thus it could be challenging to properly bake anything bigger.
How to make the piping decoration?
The design on the pumpkin bread was created with a teaspoon and a medium-sized round nozzle tip; it’s an incredibly simple yet artistic technique to decorate any loaf cake!
- Make sure that your Pumpkin bread is chilled and not warm.
- Pipe one “row ” at once on the shorter side of the loaf.
- After that, take a teaspoon and gently push the back of it against the piping design to get the desired effect.
- Pipe another “row” of frosting.
- Repeat the process with the teaspoon.
- Continue until you got to the end of the loaf.
How do you cut the sweetness of cream cheese frosting?
Lastly, if you find cream cheese frosting to be too sweet or rich for your taste, add a splash of lemon juice. It won’t add much-pronounced lemon flavor, but the acidity will cut through and balance the richness
Why is my pumpkin bread dry?
- Ingredients not measured incorrectly eg. too much flour was added to the mixture.
- Inappropriate mixing technique eg. over mixed cake batter.
- Over baked, meaning it dried out too much.
After baking, let the pumpkin bread cool completely before frosting it with cream cheese. Any leftover cake may be kept for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator or at room temperature in an airtight container. I advise covering the dessert to prevent it from absorbing any scents from the kitchen or the refrigerator.
Pumpkin Bread may be completely frozen, although I advise topping with cream cheese frosting after thawing.
Liliana Kitchen hopes you enjoy this pumpkin bread recipe! It’s a classic that never goes out of style. The cream cheese frosting makes it extra special, and it’s perfect for fall gatherings or Thanksgiving dinners. If you make it, be sure to let me know how it turns out in the comments below. Thanks for reading!