As an appetizer, the mini blooming onion is always a hit. This dish consists of a small onion that is cut in such a way that it resembles a flower when it is fried. The onion is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. It can be served with your favorite dipping sauce. The mini blooming onion makes a great party appetizer because it is easy to make and can feed a large crowd. You can also serve it as a main dish if you are looking for something light and tasty.
Are blooming onions good for you?
Yes, blooming onions are a good source of dietary fiber, which can help with bowel regularity and digestion. They’re also low in calories and a good source of vitamins A and C. However, because they’re deep-fried, they’re high in fat and not the healthiest option. If you’re looking for a healthier way to enjoy blooming onions, try oven-baking them instead.
How to prepare Mini Blooming Onion?
In this mini version, we’ve created a recipe that is perfect for beginners, or for those who want a small batch of onions. These are easy to make and taste delicious! Give them a try for your next gathering.
6 small sweet or yellow onions
1 cup milk and 1 egg
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup all purpose flour
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable oil for frying
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch kosher salt (use it to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. Peel the onions, then cut a 1/2-inch slice from the top of each onion. Cut each onion 1/2-inch below the root end and discard the root end. Using a paring knife, make 4 or 5 vertical cuts into the flesh of each onion, being careful not to cut through the root end. Gently pull the onion apart at the cuts to separate the petals.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, flour, salt, and pepper.
4. Place the onion petals in the batter and coat evenly.
5. Heat the oil in a deep fryer or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
6. Fry the onions, a few at a time, until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
7. To make the dipping sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mayonnaise, smoked paprika, black pepper, and salt.
8. Serve the onions with the dipping sauce.
What should I do with leftovers Mini Blooming Onion?
Blooming onions are best enjoyed fresh, but if you have leftovers, they can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat in a 350 degree F (175 degree C) oven until crisp.
Recipe notes and helpful tips
– If you don’t have a deep fryer, you can use a Dutch oven or large pot filled with oil. Be sure to keep an eye on the temperature of the oil and adjust as necessary to ensure that the onions don’t burn. For the one not a fan of deep-fried food, you can try oven-baking the onions. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) and coat the onion petals in a light layer of oil. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
– When cutting the onions, be careful not to cut through the root end. This will help keep the onion petals intact.
– Coat the onion petals evenly in batter for best results.
– Dipping sauces are not mandatory, but they’re definitely recommended! Try ranch dressing, BBQ sauce, or even ketchup.
Share with your friends and family for the best experience!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe for a mini blooming onion. It is perfect as an appetizer or side dish. If you want to make a larger version, just follow the same instructions but use a bigger onion. Be sure to let me know how it turns out if you decide to try it! Thanks for reading!