The Green Bean Casserole is a Thanksgiving staple, but it is also a delicious side dish any time of year. This recipe is easy to follow and can be made ahead of time, so you can focus on the rest of your meal and it is always a hit with guests.
Plus, it’s vegan-friendly and gluten-free, so everyone can enjoy it! Give this casserole a try for your next get-together, and I think that you will be glad you did.
What Is Green Bean Casserole?
Green bean casserole is a popular dish that originated in the 1950s. This savory dish features fresh green beans baked together with onions, mushrooms, and delicious cheese sauce. Green bean casserole is often served as a side dish during holiday celebrations and other special occasions, and it has become a beloved part of many people’s food traditions.
Green bean casserole is often topped with melted cheese or more breadcrumbs for extra flavor and texture. Although there are many variations of this traditional recipe, the combination of cooked green beans and a rich, savory sauce is what defines it as a classic dish.
In addition to its hearty flavor and inviting texture, green bean casserole is also known for its vibrant green color, which makes it a beautiful addition to any table. Whether you are preparing this classic dish for family or friends, it is sure to be met with rave reviews!
Green Bean Casserole: How To Cook?
This green bean casserole recipe is made with fresh green beans, mushrooms, and a homemade cream of mushroom soup. It is topped with crispy fried onions for a delicious, easy-to-make side dish.
First, you need to preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook your green bean by boiling it in water for 5 minutes and let it drain out. Add other ingredients in a bowl and stir well in order to make them blend well and the mixture is thickened.
Then add your boiled green beans and continue to stir the mixture. Pour the mixture into a prepared casserole or baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the fried onion on top and bake for another 5 minutes. Finally serve as you wish.
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (10.75 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter or spray a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large pot, cook green beans in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot, sauté mushrooms, onion, and butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in cream of mushroom soup.
- Add green beans and half of the fried onions to the pot. Stir until well mixed. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly. Top with remaining fried onions, and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Serve hot.
- If you want to make this dish ahead of time, you can prepare it up to the point of baking. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven and proceed with the recipe.
- You can also freeze green bean casserole. Prepare casserole according to the recipe
- Calories: 260
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated fat: 8 g
- Unsaturated fat: 8 g
- Trans fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Sugar: 5 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Sodium: 1040 mg (44%)
- Cholesterol: 36 mg (12%)
Tips from Liliana Kitchen
- If you are looking for an even healthier version of this casserole, you can substitute the fried onions with baked ones. Simply slice one onion and toss it with a tablespoon of olive oil. Spread it on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, stirring once during cooking.
- You can also use other types of mushrooms in this recipe, such as cremini or oyster mushrooms.
- If you want a bit more of a crunch in your casserole, you can add some chopped nuts to the topping. Walnuts or pecans would be a good choice.
- This casserole can also be made in a slow cooker. Simply prepare the casserole through Step 4 and then transfer it to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 1-2 hours, until the vegetables are tender.
- If you want a bit more flavor in your casserole, you can add some chopped fresh thyme or rosemary to the mushroom mixture. Start with 1/2 teaspoon of each and add more to taste.
>> If you want to know a different way to cook this dish, check out this tutorial video here:
FAQs For Green Bean Casserole
Why is green bean casserole so gross?
There are a few reasons why green bean casserole might be considered gross. One reason is that it is usually made with canned green beans, which can have a mushy texture. Another reason is that it is often made with cream of mushroom soup, which some people find to be too salty or creamy. Finally, the fried onions on top of the casserole can be greasy.
How do you make green bean casserole from scratch?
There are a few steps involved in making green bean casserole from scratch. First, you need to make a cream of mushroom soup. You can either make this from scratch or use a store-bought variety. Next, you will cook the green beans and mushrooms. Finally, you will assemble the casserole and bake it.
Is green bean casserole healthy?
Green bean casserole can be considered healthy if it is made with fresh ingredients and not too much cream or salt. This recipe uses fresh green beans, mushrooms, and a homemade cream of mushroom soup. It is also relatively low in calories and fat.
How do you keep green bean casserole from getting mushy?
There are a few things you can do to keep green bean casserole from getting mushy. First, make sure to cook the green beans until they are just tender. You don’t want to overcook them or they will become mushy.
Second, use fresh green beans instead of canned ones. Canned green beans can often be mushy. Finally, don’t add too much liquid to the casserole. Just enough to moisten the ingredients is all you need.
Can I make green bean casserole ahead of time and refrigerate it?
Yes, you can make green bean casserole ahead of time and refrigerate it. Just make sure to cover it tightly so that it doesn’t dry out. When you’re ready to bake it, preheat the oven and proceed with the recipe.
What do you serve with green bean casserole?
Green bean casserole is typically served as a side dish. It goes well with roasted turkey or chicken, ham, or beef. It can also be served with mashed potatoes or rice.
Green bean casserole is a classic holiday dish. It is usually made with canned green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and fried onions. Green bean casserole is typically served as a side dish. It goes well with roasted turkey or chicken, ham, or beef.
So, that is all I can provide you with in this post about the Green Bean Casserole recipe. In case you want to explore more topics about food and recipes, Liliana Kitchen is always here to be on your side. Stay tuned for more upcoming blogs in the future!
>> Read more: