These days, it seems like there’s a taco for everyone. Whether you like them soft or hard, spicy or mild, there’s a taco out there with your name on it. But of all the tacos out there, my personal favorite is crispy potato tacos.
There’s just something about the combination of crispy potatoes, melted cheese, and fresh salsa that gets me every time. And don’t even get me started on the smell.
As soon as those tacos hit the frying pan, my whole house fills with the most tantalizing aroma. I can hardly wait to take that first bite of it! All right, no further ado, let’s jump right into the making of it, shall we?
Taco: What Is It?
A taco is a traditional Mexican dish composed of a corn or wheat tortilla folded or rolled around a filling. The tortilla is then fried, grilled, or baked.
Tacos are generally made with a variety of fillings, including beef, chicken, pork, seafood, vegetables, and cheese. They can be served plain or with a variety of sauces, such as salsa, guacamole, or sour cream.
Crispy Potato Tacos: A Cheap And Easy Meal
One of the best things about crispy potato tacos is that they’re incredibly cheap and easy to make. All you need are some potatoes, cheese, tortillas, and your favorite toppings.
For the potatoes, you can either use frozen hash browns or fresh diced potatoes. If you’re using fresh potatoes, be sure to boil them until they’re soft before frying them.
As for the cheese, any type will do. I usually use cheddar or mozzarella, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
Why Are You Gonna Love This Crispy Potato Tacos Recipe?
If you’re looking for a delicious, easy, and affordable meal, then this crispy potato tacos recipe is for you! These tacos are:
- Perfectly seasoned
- Quick and easy to make
- A great way to use up leftover potatoes
- A family-friendly meal
- Satisfying and delicious!
>> You might also like:
How To Make Crispy Potato Tacos?
To make the tacos, simply fry the potatoes in a little oil until they’re golden brown and crispy. Then, assemble your tacos with the potatoes, cheese, and toppings of your choice.
Some of my favorite toppings for crispy potato tacos are sour cream, salsa, and guacamole. But feel free to get creative and add whatever you like!
- 1 lb. potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 small soft tortillas
- salsa and sour cream for serving (optional)
- Add the potatoes to a large pot of boiling water. Cook for 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Drain the potatoes and transfer them to a large bowl. Add the cheese, onion, oil, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Mix well to combine.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Assemble the tacos with the potatoes, cheese, and toppings of your choice. Serve immediately.
- Leftover potatoes can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- The tacos can also be made with sweet potatoes. Simply substitute the same amount of sweet potatoes for the regular potatoes.
- For a vegetarian version of this recipe, omit the cheese and use black beans or lentils in place of the potatoes.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a larger crowd. Simply use a larger skillet and add more potatoes as needed.
- Calories: 400
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 10 mg
- Sodium: 470 mg
- Carbohydrates: 52 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Sugar: 3 g
- Protein: 9 g
Tips From Liliana Kitchen
- Taco night is always a hit in our house! These crispy tacos are my kids’ favorite, and they’re so easy to make.
- For a gluten-free version of this recipe, use corn tortillas in place of wheat tortillas.
- If you’re looking for a lighter option, try baking these tacos. Simply bake the potatoes in the oven instead of frying them.
- To make ahead, prepare the potatoes and toppings in advance. Then, assemble the tacos just before serving.
- These tacos are also great for meal prep! Simply reheat the potatoes in the microwave or oven before adding them to the tortillas.
Customizable Potato Tacos Ideas
There are so many ways to customize this recipe to fit your taste. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Add some spice with jalapeños, diced tomatoes, or hot sauce.
- Make it meaty with crumbled bacon or ground beef.
- Swap the potatoes for sweet potatoes or yams.
- Add some veggies with shredded lettuce, diced onions, or diced peppers.
- Get creative with your toppings! Try sour cream, avocado, or grilled corn.
How To Serve?
These tacos are best served fresh and hot. However, you can also meal prep them for an easy lunch or dinner.
To meal prep, simply cook the potatoes and assemble the tacos. Then, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. When you’re ready to eat, simply reheat the potatoes in the microwave or oven before adding them to the tortillas.
These tacos are also great for a quick lunch or dinner. Simply cook the potatoes ahead of time and store them in the fridge. Then, assemble the tacos when you’re ready to eat.
>> Provided that you going to make this dish in the future, why not take a glimpse at this video here to get more detail:
FAQs For Crispy Potato Tacos
Does Taco Bell have potato tacos?
Yes, Taco Bell offers potato tacos as part of their vegan menu options. The potato tacos are made with seasoned potatoes, avocado ranch sauce, and shredded lettuce all wrapped up in a soft flour tortilla.
Are potato tacos healthy?
Potato tacos can be part of a healthy diet, depending on how they are prepared. This recipe for this tacos uses a small amount of oil and is baked instead of fried, making them a healthier option. You can also make potato tacos with sweet potatoes for an extra boost of nutrients.
What can I put on my potato tacos?
There are many different toppings that you can add to your tacos. Try sour cream, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, chopped onions, or diced peppers. You can also add some spice with jalapeños, hot sauce, or salsa.
Are potato tacos discontinued?
No, potato tacos are not discontinued. Taco Bell offers these tacos as part of its vegan menu options.
What is in a potato soft taco?
A potato soft taco from Taco Bell contains seasoned potatoes, avocado ranch sauce, and shredded lettuce. All of these ingredients are then wrapped up in a soft flour tortilla.
Where did potato tacos originate?
Potato tacos are thought to have originated in Mexico. They are popular street food in many Mexican cities and are often sold from carts or stands. This type of tacos are also popular in the United States, particularly in areas with large Mexican populations.
Potato tacos are a delicious and easy way to enjoy a classic Mexican dish. They’re perfect for a quick weeknight meal or feeding a crowd. And, they can be customized to fit your taste. So, what are you waiting for? Give them a try!
And that is all Liliana Kitchen can think of when writing this post for crispy potato tacos! I hope that you will enjoy this time blog and be sure to support us by reading through our team’s content about the gigantic world of food, I bet you will not be disappointed!