Black beluga lentils are a special kind of black lentil that cooks up creamy and luxurious. In this recipe, they are simmered with aromatic vegetables and chicken broth until tender, then finished with a pat of butter for richness.
The end result is a hearty, yet elegant dish that’s perfect for weeknight dinners or entertaining guests. Serve Braised Black Beluga Lentils over steamed rice or mashed potatoes for a complete meal. Why waiting? Let get’s started for now!
What Are Black Beluga Lentils Anyway?
Black beluga lentils are a variety of black lentil that gets their name from the resemblance to beluga caviar. These little legumes are prized for their earthy flavor and buttery texture, which makes them ideal for use in soups, stews, and salads.
When cooked properly, black lentils hold their shape well and have a creamy texture that’s similar to red lentils. This makes them a great choice for dishes where you want the lentils to take on the flavor of the other ingredients but still retain some structure.
Protein-packed Black Beluga Lentils
Black beluga lentils are a powerhouse of nutrition, packing a whopping 26 grams of protein into each cooked cup. That is more than twice the amount of protein found in other types of lentils, making black beluga lentils an excellent choice for vegetarians and vegans looking to boost their intake of this essential nutrient.
But protein isn’t the only nutritional benefit of black lentils. They are also a good source of fiber, iron, and magnesium. Plus, they cook up quickly and easily, making them a versatile and convenient ingredient for busy cooks. Whether you add them to soups, stews, or salads, these lentils are sure to add a nutritional punch to your next meal.
How To Cook Braised Black Beluga Lentils?
Braised black beluga lentils are simmered in chicken broth and aromatic vegetables until tender, then finished with a pat of butter for richness. The key to this dish is to cook the lentils slowly, so they have time to absorb all the flavors of the broth.
I like to use carrots, celery, and onion in my Braised Black Beluga Lentils, but you can really use any combination of vegetables that you like.
- 1 cup black beluga lentils
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the black beluga lentils and pick out any debris.
- In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a simmer.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, and black beluga lentils.
- Simmer gently until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the butter until melted.
- Serve over steamed rice or mashed potatoes.
- If you can't find black beluga lentils, you can use another variety of black lentils in this recipe. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly, as different types of lentils have different cook times.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to serve a crowd. Just be sure to use a large pot so the vegetables and lentils have enough room to cook properly.
- Leftover Braised Black Beluga Lentils can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat gently on the stove before serving.
- Calories: 190
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Sodium: 505mg
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 8g
- Sugar: 5g
- Protein: 7g
Tips To Make Delicious Braised Black Blentils
- I recommend using fresh chicken broth for the best flavor, but you can also use vegetable broth if you prefer.
- The key to this dish is to cook the lentils slowly, so they have time to absorb all the flavors of the broth.
- For a bit of spice, try adding a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the pot.
>> Check out this tutorial from Chef John on how to make this dish on a new level:
What To Serve With Black Beluga Lentils?
Black beluga lentils are a versatile ingredient that can be used in all sorts of dishes. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Serve these lentils over steamed rice or mashed potatoes.
- Add cooked black beluga lentils to soups or stews for a boost of protein and flavor.
- Use black lentils in place of chickpeas in a salad or grain bowl.
- Make a simple lentil soup by simmering Black Beluga in chicken broth with some aromatics like carrots, celery, and onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipes That Pair Well With Black Lentils
You may be thinking that which recipes will go on well with this dish, then you are in luck because Liliana Kitchen has recommended some honorable mentions here for you:
FAQs About Braised Black Beluga Lentils
Are black lentils and beluga lentils the same?
Yes, black lentils and beluga lentils are the same things. They’re just two different names for the same type of lentil.
Can I use another type of lentil in this recipe?
If you can’t find black beluga lentils, you can use another variety of black lentils in this recipe. Remember to adjust the cooking according to the specific type of lentils that you use.
Are black beluga lentils healthy?
Yes, beluga lentils are a healthy food choice. They’re a good source of protein and fiber, and they’re low in fat and calories.
What do black beluga lentils taste like?
Black lentils have a slightly nutty flavor and a firm, chewy texture. They hold their shape well when cooked, making them a good choice for dishes like salads and grain bowls.
What are black lentils best for?
Black lentils are a versatile ingredient that can be used in all sorts of dishes. They’re often used in soups, stews, and salads, but they can also be used in grain bowls, pasta dishes, and more.
Black lentils are a versatile and healthy ingredient that can be used in a variety of recipes. This Braised Black Beluga Lentils recipe is a simple and delicious way to enjoy them. You can serve them on many other dishes while still being able to keep the flavor of the lentils.
In case you are interested in any of Liliana Kitchen’s recipes or tips for food, be sure to follow us at Lilianakitchen.com! You will not miss your chance to make your cooking skills to be improved in no time with our help!